Our return from vacation quickly turned into preparation for Steve's surgery. Monday we both worked. We did what we could to get most of our stuff unpacked and some of the laundry done before Tuesday.
Tuesday morning the Grandparents arrived to help out with the munchkins.
Surgery went fine. Lots of pain and medications involved in the recovery, but that was to be expected. Grampaw hung around to help with the kids.
Then came Ike.
Wednesday was the day it started looking iffy. Businesses were starting to announce closings for the end of the week. We found out the day care would close early Thursday and stay closed on Friday. Initially, I thought it was a little bit of over-reaction.
Grammy & Grampaw were nervous and we decided it was best to send the kids to their house for the weekend. They were going to leave Thursday am, but when we started hearing about mandatory evacuations in our area, we decided they should go Wednesday night. Probably a smart move.
So I stayed here with Steve. By Thursday afternoon it was looking pretty certain that we were going to get hit. We're pretty far inland, but still in the area of expected high winds and likely power outages. Thur. afternoon a memo went out from hospital management saying that since we're in a "shelter in place" zone, they would maintain essential operations and that limited family members could stay here at the hospital with their loved ones, but should provide their own emergency supplies and food.
So I went home to gather provisions. I packed a small cooler of food and drinks, gathered some extra clothes, dvds, a few more books and magazines, etc. Then I started thinking I should probably at least attempt to clean off the porch. I was not too excited about this because our garage is already pretty much full of junk. But, I started with the small "blowy" things, like toys, ice chests, trash can, small plants. The more I did, the more worried phone calls I got, and the more news I watched, the more nervous I got. Eventually, I got everything off the porch except a few trees and rocks that were too heavy for me to move, some prickly cacti that I also didn't feel I could move safely, and the sand box.
Stopped at the gas station for some cash and water. Fortunately I had already filled up the truck, because they had no gas.
Back to the hospital for a night of sleep on the couch with the normal hospital interuptions. I'm so appreciative of the hospital staff that are considerate enough not to turn on the overhead lights when the come in.
Friday
Already getting stir crazy sitting here in the hospital. They've got the place on semi-lockdown, keeping track of anyone who comes or goes. Throughout the day I notice the hospital staff moving in their families. They are taking over empty conference rooms and waiting areas. I feel a little sorry for them because they are subjected to the 24 hour new coverage. At least in Steve's room he is choosing not to watch the new mostly and I can occasionally check conditions on the internet or by walking out to one of the public TVs.
I decide to take advantage of the hospital cafe as long as it is open. I'm amazed that a hospital serves such unhealthy food. I had loaded nachos for lunch and they were yummy, but probably not so good for the diet. Cafeteria closed at 1pm, so now I'm on my own.
Steve's stronger and more alert today than he has been since the surgery. Unfortunately being more alert means he's more aware of his situation and therefore more uncomfortable. He's able to get up and walk around some today, but makes his plea that he could do more if he wasn't attached to so many things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment