Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Today's update

Steve's mom arrived late last night. Her flight came in at 9:30pm and my mom went to pick her up. My mom got to experience just how much of Houston is still without power, as she drove along Beltway 8, often in complete darkness. Steve's mom saw the same thing from the airplane - a patchwork of light and dark, that is usually solid light.

Steve is better today and resting more comfortably than yesterday, although still in much pain. With Steve's mom here, I'm able to take a MUCH needed break from the hospital and spend some time with the kids. I have lived in the hospital since early last week. Last night was the first night I spent in my bed since last Tuesday.

I am hearing alot about clean up and releif efforts. I'd love to be able to spend a few hours volunteering with a local agency, helping clean up at my church or just helping out some of my neighbors that have damage, but there isn't time or energy for that. To be honest, though, if Steve wasn't in the hospital, I'd probably just be back at work today.

Since our area didn't sustain too much damage, and most people are getting their power back, things are returning to normal. Gas is still hard to find. Most schools are closed for at least one more day. Most of the drive-through restuarants are open, even though you can't go inside and their menus are limited. Kids were disappointed that the couldn't go in and play at Chick-fil-a or McDonalds and they had to settle for a trip to HEB and eating at home.

No comments: